Thursday, June 10, 2010

God Whispered...

....in my ear... or really I should say he has been all along, and I was just too dang stubborn to realize it. I'm not gonna lie, lately, I feel as if my work is starting to take on its OWN look and feel...one that isn't particularly ME. Now, don't get me wrong, I am still proud of how far I've come and the images I have been able to produce, and am extremely grateful to my clients, but at the same time, I feel like I've fallen into this "category". One that's isn't exactly me, but perhaps everybody else, but me. I'm sure I'm not the only photographer who has been there, done that, but I'm almost positive that when any artist begins their journey, the paths are indirect, intimidating, and very... well, all over the place. I've been walking down this path, and now, I feel I'm at a dead end. I say, "dead end", because although I am at a "stopping" point, I definitely still plan on walking back down that path, but perhaps taking a detour along the way. After tons of research, listening to my gut instinct, and recognizing God's sweet voice, I think I have finally come to a place where I can say, "Okay... I now know in which direction I want to take my work."

For those that know me, know I loveeee music. Its my muse. Music is the words which are expressed when you, yourself cannot express them, and this is often me... unable to express how I feel, but once I pop in that music track, the thoughts and feelings begin to flow, and the words become easier to access. I come from a very musically inclined family, and it has been apart of me since I was a twinkle in my mommy's eye. I simply love it, and am in love with being able to express oneself in such a beautiful and intimate way. I love genres such as blues, acoustics, and folk. Music is one thing I could not live without. So much inspiration in attained from listening to just one song...imagine an entire album...or rather, my entire ipod play list. lol So my musical inspiration will begin to more so tie into my post-production... a bit of fresh air, if you will.

So, I sat today, and had a little chit chat with my main man, JC... we talked... and you see, usually I'm the one doing all the talking. haha But not today... I just sat and simply listened to Him. Lately, I've been praying for a breakthrough. I don't want get in this photography funk, rut, jam, or whatever you wanna call it. I just want to continuously keep rolling and gaining speed along the way. I refuse to be in that percentage where most photographers don't make it, or quit too soon. I may not be where I want to be at this exact moment in time (and more than likely, that time will never come), but I do know, that with Him, "All things are possible!" Amen.
So anyway...back to my little discussion with JC. It wasn't a long drawn out one, but more of a, "Helloooo Casey!!! FINALLY you listen to Me!" kinda conversation. Almost like He took His own Bible, and smacked me over the head with it (haha Connie!). He simply reminded me how I, personally, got started down this path...

When my baby girl was born, I was taking pictures of her with, dare I say it, my camera phone. lol And it wasn't one of those good camera phones either, okay. (nowadays that's a different story). I soon remembered my dad had given me his Kodak Easy Share (remember the first ones that came out?? yeah. that one). So I took that thing everyyyywhereeeee!! And quickly crammed up space on my precious hard drive. I then decided it was time to upgrade, and the hubby bought me a regular Canon point and shoot. THAT'S when things really took off, and that's when my daughter probably began to realize that the camera was indeed permanently apart of my face. For those that have had the pleasure of seeing my daughter grow, y'all know she is a tiny bit crazy, and a tiny bit outta control. (my Energizer Bunny). Sooo posing her and getting her to smile on cue, was never in the works for me. Never. I simply took pictures of her going about her regular everyday routine. Some crawling here, some drooling there, some yelling here, some laughing there... and CLICK CLICK. THOSE were the moments I captured. THOSE are the moments I will remember most. THOSE are the moments, SHE will get to remember.


Photojournalism. I'm not talking about the news reporter kind. I'm generally talking about the style, the approach, the final product. THE KODAK MOMENT.


So from now on, during a session there will be minimal posing with minimal eye contact (with the camera). Just as I captured those moments of my daughter, I want to capture those moments of you, your family, your loved one(s). I want you to be able to look back and think, "Wow. I totally remember the silly grin (insert name) had when they were concentrating" ... "The way (insert name) scrunched their nose right before they kissed me."

The heck with forced smiles!! Its all about the "natural", now!


I don't feel as if I'm taking a COMPLETE detour, bc I honestly do feel I have dabbled in the this type of style, but I want to concentrate more on it. I want to be "invisible"... I want to be that person who just happened to have a camera the day of your family picnic or on your trip to the park, and I just happened to take awesome (*wink wink) photos.


So this is the approach I want to begin to take...
This type of photography isn't for everyone, and I understand that not all clients will consider me, but just letting you know what type of images you can expect. I hope you'll enjoy, and I hope you'll stick along for the ride! =]


I'll leave you with these images, which I took 2 nights ago while my sweet pea was taking a bubble bath. Enjoy. =)





XoXo
-Casey

2 comments:

  1. perfect. PERFECT. In every way. I love it Casey..I LOOOOVE IT. Gonna do some reaserch for you..cause I know what you are getting at...God is saying give me back my Bible..I need to smack Connie now! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMBO!!! Silly goose!!! I'll do it for Him! HAHA! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails