Monday, February 7, 2011

What's your style?

If haven't already browsed the internet and oogled different photographer's websites, you will probably agree you don't necessarily see the same type of style repeatedly.

When I started school, I enjoyed it.  I mean, I knew nothing of how to work my camera or what it was really capable of doing.  I was just glad someone was willing to teach me and push me past my already limited boundaries.  After being there for almost a year, it was kinda hard hearing "this style" was the way...not boring, not overexposed, and so on and so forth, yet from the other ear, you heard, "its your own personal style... be creative".  The two went hand in hand, yet when you're being graded on it, not so much. 

I found myself hurrying through projects just to get them done.  There was no creative thought behind the composition, and no creative juice over all.  It was just blah.

My husband was laid off in September 2009 (more on this in another post), and things just got to the point where school was no longer an option for me.  I left sad, and longing to just at least sit in class, but God had other plans.  Now, before I process, I will note that "dropping" school should always always be the last option.  I still have dreams of going back to school, might I add.  We shall see. But anyway... my last semester was early 2010.  I was by myself.  Left to be "self-taught" after not even a year of schooling. "Oh joy", I thought.  But really, I felt it was beneficial to me. I was finally "allowed" to photograph the way I began in the first place; fun and free.  I guess being an "artist" the thought of composition naturally comes to you, and of course with practice and time, it gradually gets better. But as far as that aspect is concerned, I wasn't worried.

I started noticing more of myself in my work. More of my personality.  It was fun to see, and the ideas just kept coming and coming.  Kinda on overflow mode.  I was thrilled, couldn't wait to implement them!

Now, let's talk about Texas.  Talk about tradition.  haha  I'm all about it. I enjoy it, and appreciate it.  However, when it comes to my work, that's a different story.  I hate the word, "pose", however, I embrace the word, "direct".  For me, I enjoy "posing", and then dancing around it.  You can get a zillion different pictures just from one single solitary object.  After I get the more traditional poses, I'll shoot like I'm not even there.  Ahhh... this is so unbelievably refreshing to me.  I absolutely love it. These to me, are the moments in which are remembered the most.  The quirky non rehearsed smile.  Y'all know what I'm talking about.  The mid-point-laugh.  The moment in between the moment is what I enjoy capturing.  These are the moments when I'm in photoshop, that make me stop and and not only look at the picture, but into the picture.  It tells me a story.

This particular style, you won't find much in Texas, and that's fine.  Not every style is for everybody.  This will probably mean I will need to turn down clients here and there, but in all honesty, it not only benefits me, its benefits the client. I mean, who wants to pay for something they won't get?  I know, I wouldn't.  And personally speaking, I know I wouldn't just book any photographer to take my family's pictures.  I've already got some lined up for those special milestones which are soon to be on their way.  If that means I have to travel to them, I'd be more than happy to!  My point is, I know you love me, but if you'd don't love my style, I won't shun you. haha I love you, too, and by loving you, I respect your decision to have so and so photography capture your moments. Its all good in the hood!  Invest in the photographer of your liking... its not just about posing for pictures; its an experience!


So with that being said... DreamTree's style is going to be more laid back, more fun. Of course, I'll have the occasional  "posed" shoots.

Clothing: I will note, I'm not the typical white shirt/top + jeans.  Why not let the kiddos dress themselves?  Or we can get together, and discuss the colors of your session, and we'll work around that!


So yeah, I'm excited!!  "Laid back" was my style before I even knew what a DSLR was, so why change it know that I know what it is? 


Also, I now have a "inspiration" book that I carry about more than my cell phone.  In this little book, I write any inspiration that randomly pops into my head, and later I go back and add to it.  I've got quite a few ideas I am just dying to share!


Stay tuned! Changes coming!!! Can't wait to share them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails