Monday, September 27, 2010

This little light of mine... | DreamTree Photography



I first picked up my very first DSLR camera back in July of last year.
To be quite honest, I had no idea what a DSLR was, what it stood for, why it was "better" than my point and shoot, or why I had never even noticed it before.

After my first day of school in May of 2009, we were provided with a Nikon D60 (dslr) in our "package."  It took me until July to take it out of the box.  This was the most expensive item I had in my possession besides the very first laptop I purchased back in 2007.  I was terrified of dropping it, and even worse, I didn't know how to even turn it on. Yeah. ha!


School began, and so did AiH-N's first Photography Club.  I, of course, had to be apart of it, and so I was.
Shortly after, we were invited to document Houston's annual Greek Festival.  During our bus ride over there, I was scared to death wondering what kind of pictures to take, or really, even how to get people (strangers at that) to "smile for the camera."

Before we exited the bus, our teacher handed out various lenses he had brought with him.  I of course, got handed the most expensive and most heaviest one.  This lens weighs about 5+ lbs alone, and is about the length of my forearm.  While walking around, I cradled it like a baby... a newborn baby, because that's what it was to me. Never in my life, had my hands been on such expensive metal and glass.

After my teacher gave me a pep talk, I decided to actually put the lens to use.  To be honest, it just came natural, and photographing those smiling faces became the least of my worries.  My arm was about to fall off due the weight of my "baby."  ha! I felt like a newborn model who had 100 frames to work with, and left with a seriously sore body (or my boudoir models haha).


We left. I came home, and uploaded my images.
I smiled.

And from that moment, I knew this wasn't going to be my last "event."
Next thing I knew, I was interning with the Houston Ballet. (a HUGE wow moment for me!)



And now... I'm here.


Since then, I like to think I've grown in my work.
I've molded into this person that's insanely crazy obsessed over capturing the perfect "Kodak Moment."
Each shot is carefully composed and orchestrated.
I'm not shutter happy.
Quality reigns farrr over quantity with me, and I pride myself in this; it helps me grow even further.

Being a photographer...
I find joy in other's joy.
I find love in other's love.
I find peace in other's heartwarming smile.
I find radiance in other's laughter.


I've had it set in my heart for quite some time now, about documenting missionary work.
I pray and pray this is in God's plan for me to set aside some time and energy, and accompany my church next year on at least one of their missionary trips.


Another dream of mine is to visit Havana.
The heritage.
The music.
The people.
The colors.
The beach
The climate.
and ahhh the food. =]


One day.
One day.


For now, I am blessed with documenting right here in the states.
I honestly feel deep down in my heart that photography is my calling in life. Its my way of reaching out to people, and spreading His word.
I can't picture or imagine myself in any other setting with any other type of equipment in my hand, but a camera.  And so long as God keeps me on this path, my goal is glorify Him with every shot my camera fires.

I am incredibly beyond blessed to be able to call this my "job".  And really, I don't consider it one, because I genuinely enjoy it more than a pink iced cupcake (and that says A LOT.)


I want to personally thank each and everyone of you who has supported me from day one up until this day.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  This road hasn't been easy, and sometimes a little overwhelming, but to have motivation coming from friends, family, and even strangers... I am nothing short of grateful.  To capture such life. To stop a moment in time; a moment that will never be repeated... makes it all worth it.

I hope I can continue to glorify Him through this journey.
And I hope you will continue to walk with me on this journey.




Thank you! 
Thank you!
THANK YOU!



"...I'm gonna let it shine. Let it shine! Let it shine! Let it shine!"


[[The first and "original" crew of AiH-N's photography club, "Exposed."
(give or take a few peeps)
Love and miss you all!]]






HUGE LOVE!
XoXo
-Casey <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails